Click here to download a copy: SHETA Constitution 2018
The proposed changes for the constitution presented at the 2020 AGM have been sent to the STF for approval. The new Constitution will be posted once approved.
Saskatchewan Home Economics Teachers’ Association
Article I – Intention
This document repeals and abrogates all previous Constitutions or other similar documents which may have existed and from henceforth this Constitution shall be the source and repository of all rights, benefits and duties of the organization, its officers, and its members.
Article II – Name
The name of the organization shall be the “Saskatchewan Home Economics Teachers’ Association”.
Article III – Affiliation
- The Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation as a Professional Growth Network
- The Association of Saskatchewan Home Economists
- Any local Home Economics Association
- Any local Home Economics Teachers’ Association
Article IV – Objectives
The objectives of the Association shall be:
- To strengthen, enrich and promote home economics education throughout Saskatchewan.
- To improve the quality of home economics education in the classroom.
- To facilitate communication among all persons engaged in home economics.
- To facilitate professional exchange of ideas and reference materials between government agencies, the university, the curriculum committee, school administrations and teachers.
- To furnish recommendations and advice to the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation on matters pertaining to home economics education in Saskatchewan.
- To improve the quality of work life for the home economics teacher.
Article V – Membership
SECTION #1 – Qualifications and Classes
Membership in the Saskatchewan Home Economics Teachers’ Association shall include:
- All Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation members – specifically those teaching home economics or related subjects.
- A student who:
- is enrolled in the College of Education, Home Economics Certificate Program
- presently has a degree in home economics and is enrolled in the College of Education after degree program.
- Any other person or organization with a professional interest in the advancement of home economics education.
- The majority of members of the Association must be members of the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation.
Honorary Life Member
A member who has rendered exceptional service to the field of home economics education and/or the Association may, by the unanimous vote of the Executive Committee, be granted Honorary Life Membership in the Association.
Honorary membership may be granted for a term of one year, by the unanimous vote of the Executive Committee, to a non-member who has rendered valuable service to the field of home economics education.
SECTION #2 – Rights of Members
Members in good standing shall be entitled to attend and vote at meetings of the Association.
Positions on the Executive Committee of the Saskatchewan Home Economics Teachers’ Association shall be open to individuals who are current members of the Association.
SECTION #3 – Resignation and Reinstatement of Members
Any member may withdraw from the Association by sending a written resignation to the secretary.
Failure to pay current membership dues will be considered a resignation. Members who have resigned in good standing may rejoin the Association by application and payment of the current fees.
SECTION #4 – Membership Year
The Association’s membership shall be due biannually (every two years) October 1st depending on conference year.
Article VI – Executive Committee
SECTION #1 – Officers
The affairs of the Association shall be managed by an Executive Committee consisting of:
- Past President
- Minimum of one member-at-large from each region
- Convention Chairperson(s)
- Public Relations Officer
SECTION #2 – Elections and Appointments
- The President, Vice-President, are elected officers, elected for a one year term by the membership.
- In each year the incumbent of the office of President shall become Past President for one year without election.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall be appointed for a one year term by the President, and whenever possible shall be from the same region as the President.
- The Members-at-Large may be elected officers. At least one Member-at-Large will be elected from each region for a two year term. A maximum of four Members-at-Large will retire each year, providing continuity for the Association.
- The Editor(s) shall be appointed by the elected officers for a period of three years.
- The Convention Chairperson shall be appointed by the host committee.
- The Public Relations Officer shall be appointed by the elected officers for a period of three years.
- The Executive of the Association shall be comprised of all executive officers. An executive committee will be designated to make a decision on behalf of the executive.
- The Archivist duties shall be conducted by the past president.
- The Webmaster shall be appointed by the elected officers for a period of three years.
SECTION #3 – Change of Office
The officers of the Association both elected and appointed shall take office at the first Executive Committee Meeting following the Annual Meeting.
SECTION #4 – Quorum
A quorum of the Executive is five, of an Executive Committee is three.
SECTION #5 – Vacant Offices
If the office of the President shall become vacant during the year, the Vice-President shall become acting President. Should other vacancies occur, the Executive shall be empowered to appoint a member from the membership to fill that position.
Article VII – Duties of the Officers
SECTION #1 – General Duties
Twenty-four months after expiration, all SHETA officers must destroy all SHETA membership lists and all other private information using a secure disposal means such as shredding.
SECTION #2 – Past President
- SHETA Prize Chairperson
- Shall collect, collate and place pertinent SHETA information in Saskatchewan Archives annually.
SECTION #3 – President
- Preside at all Association, Executive Committee, and Executive Meetings.
- Provide an agenda for each of the above meetings.
- Prepare an annual report for the Association.
SECTION #4 – Vice-President
- Perform the duties of the President in the absence of that officer.
- Privacy Officer
- Recognition of Superannuates
SECTION #5 – Secretary
- Keep the minutes of each meeting and shall be responsible for all current records and documents of the Association.
- Conduct the correspondence of the Association as the Executive Committee shall authorize.
- Retains the original membership registration and forwards a copy of each to S.T.F.
SECTION #6 – Treasurer
- Receive all money due the Association and be responsible for the accounting of the Association’s funds.
- Prepare and present a proposed annual budget to the provincial Professional Growth Network committee
- Present a financial report to the Association at the Annual Meeting.
SECTION #7 – Editor(s)
- Receive, organize and edit materials for VISTA.
- Keep regions informed of their responsibilities to the publications.
SECTION #8 – Members-at-Large
- Liaison officers between the region members and the Executive.
SECTION #9 – Conference Chairperson
- Organize a conference committee.
- Assume responsibilities for the conference.
SECTION #10 – Public Relations Officer
- Responsible for the maintenance of selected social media outlets
SECTION # 11 –Webmaster
- The webmaster shall maintain and update the website on a regular basis.
- The webmaster shall work with the secretary in regards to online membership applicants and posting of board minutes.
Article VIII – Meetings
SECTION #1 – Annual Meeting
The annual meeting shall be held at such a time and place as determined by the Executive Committee at the beginning of each membership year.
SECTION #2 – Executive Meetings
A minimum of four meetings shall be called each year.
SECTION #3 – Executive Meetings
Meetings of the Executive may be held at any time and place in Saskatchewan to be determined by the Executive or by the President, provided that at least 10 days notice of such meeting be given to each executive officer. No formal notice shall be necessary if all executive officers are present, or if those absent have signified their consent to the meeting being held in their absence.
Article IX – Annual Reports
- The Association shall submit to the S.T.F. yearly reports as requested.
- The Association shall make an annual report to its members at the Annual General Meeting.
Article X – Finances
SECTION #1 – Revenue
The revenue of the Association shall be drawn from the money allocated to the Association by the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation, and from membership fees.
SECTION #2 – Fees
- Membership fees shall be established by resolution at the Association’s Annual Meeting.
- Honorary and honorary life members shall not be required to pay membership fees.
SECTION #3 – Budget
The annual budget shall be approved by the Executive Committee at the first Executive Committee meeting following the Annual Meeting.
Article XI – Elections
SECTION #1 – Nominations
- The Nominating Committee shall be chaired by the Past President.
- The Nominating Committee shall prepare a slate of candidates with at least one nominee (consent obtained) and a space for additional nominations to each office to be elected.
- Nominations shall be submitted to the Nominating Committee in advance of the Annual Meeting, or shall be made from the floor.
- Biographical material about each candidate shall be given to the membership at the Annual Meeting before the election of officers takes place.
SECTION #2 – Voting
- The Nominating Committee shall be responsible for preparing a ballot.
- When there is only one nominee for an office the nominee shall be declared elected by acclamation.
- Members shall be present at the Annual Meeting to vote.
- Election of the officer shall be determined by a majority.
Article XII – Representation
Any submissions made by the Association shall be in accordance with the ethics of the teaching profession, the policies and bylaws of the Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation and the Teachers’ Federation Act, 2006.
Article XIII – Amendments
After a fourteen(14) day notice of motion to amend the constitution has been given to each member, the constitution may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of members present at any regular session of the Annual Meeting of the Association.
Article XII – Dissolution
Should there be need of dissolution of SHETA, the following will happen:
- SHETA may be dissolved by two thirds vote of the membership at an Annual General Meeting at which a one month notice has been given advising the membership of the intention to dissolve.
- In the event SHETA is dissolved, it shall be the responsibility of the Executive at the time of Dissolution to dispose of the assets of the SHETA through sale. The proceeds of the sale and all other remaining funds shall then be turned over to the University of Saskatchewan Home Economics Fund as maintained by the Canadian Home Economics Foundation (CHEF)
The record and archival materials of SHETA shall be the property of the STF to do with as they see fit.